Monday, January 23, 2012

A Nostalgic Tribute...

...an old piece of writing that I dug out of my archives.  Thanks.

From a runner who intends to never, never, never stop his quest to become a stronger competitor, leader and believer in what it is he's doing....

From the early days of discovery on the trails and roads somewhere in the mid 90's, my love affair began with the sport of running.  Whether it was cross-country, track or simply free-running, it literally became a way of life for me.  One finds that you learn to breathe, eat, drink, think, and sleep running.  But most importantly, I find that you learn to dream big dreams. 

When Coach Randy Down introduced me to Paavo Running Camps, everything for me changed.  The Paavo program to me to new levels of psychology and physiology that I never new existed.  Upon my return from Paavo Camp West, I was truly a new and changed person.  I attribute a great part of who I am today to the Paavo program.  The challenges which we faced and the goals that we athletes achieved during those weeks have shaped our lives and continue (no doubt) to mold us into who we are becoming.  I learned what it takes to mold my character and to motivate and lead those individuals around me.  Without the experiences, concepts and belief systems that Paavo training allowed me to grasp, I believe that I would have never become the captain and teammate that I was in high school, nor would I have become the man who I am today.  I tip my hat to the Paavo staff and coaches, and to the runners who shared in those Key Experiences with me.  Today, as i go to do hill repeats in the summer heat and humidity, I will recall all of those moments that we runners of that long ago summer shared together as Paavo runners.

Always searching for the next Key Experience,
-J. Brewer

No comments:

Post a Comment