Monday, January 16, 2012

Harnessing Intuition and Training to Higher Levels

Today, on this chilly January 16, I had a lesson in intuition, or my ability to channel it further to my (and others) benefit.  The lesson of the day actual began with my two Siberian Huskies and a box of cereal.  Strange, I know, but let me embellish.


My morning began as usual with any early, just past sun-up awakening.  Shortly after, I let my two young huskies outside for there morning "business" and a bit of play.  Keep in mind, I am usually able to worry very little about their safety and security if they are only out for a short while, as we have developed a rather healthy level of trust with one another.


This morning, however, as I opened my fresh box of Kashi, I sensed that something was off kilter.  I tore the box in three spots, and fumbled awkwardly with the bag.  I knew that something was not right.  I simply knew, felt, sensed, experienced some sort of emotion that I really could not explain; some sense of "wrongness" that would not even allow me to function with my normal dexterity.  I set my bowl down and abandoned the idea of milk until I was able to quell this oppressive shadow that had set over me.  I ran outside in time to see Kira, my youngest addition to the pack, on the verge of disappearing under the fence at the rear of the property.  I arrived just in time to grab her tail (to many screams, growls, and snips), pull her about an 1/8 of the way back, grab a leg, turn her about, get a collar hold through the space in the fence, and precede to pull her through headfirst.  Muddy, scratched and a little scraped up, I hauled her back into the house amid my fatherly rebukes, thankful to find (as smart as she is) that she was in full apology, and experiencing severe remorse for her actions.  Long ten minutes.  Hell of a way to start the morning.


Application:

Intuition.  Running.  Racing.  FEELING.  Here is a vital junction point of a sense, or an innate form of consciousness colliding with the science and particulars of training at higher levels.  I find that through my experience, intuition is a runner's/racer's strongest tool (after conditioning and sheer guts.)  So strong of a tool in fact, that one could run/race without a watch and know his/her pace, and what to do with that pace based off of a trained sense of feeling.  Here, I want to talk not about the ominous cloud that can be cast by intuitive interpretation (like the above story suggesting that something is terribly wrong), but about the very positive and empowering enlightenment that reading one's own intuition can bring.


It is important not to abandon the science of running.  Likewise, it is just as important not abandon the emotionally triggered side of running.  The Buddhist teaching of the Middle-Way is a great method to view what I am speaking of.  BALANCE.  Keep an eye on the wrist-watch, on the mileage you have logged in your weekly schedule, be conscious of the goals for your run, but never, never, never neglect the feelings that might even compromise a set of rules that you are training or racing by.  Know your rules and then break them.


In the race scenario, do not be afraid to break away from your projected pace, but if and only if you feel compelled.  Strongly compelled, at that.  You will know if you need to do this.  It won't be a vague and ambiguous notion.  It is key to trust your training, but it is just as key to trust your instinct; your intuition.


A Personal Experience and Recent Training Session:


This past Saturday, I had projected my long-distance day to exceed 16 miles but to be no more than 20 miles.  I even cataloged this exact "warning", if you will, into my runner's log  A series of factors went into why I chose to break the guidelines which I had set for myself.  But the biggest factor at play was intuition; that voice inside that was so certain in prodding me to do more.


This run turned out to be my first training run that had logged that kind of distance.  For me, it was important to obtain marathon status for a training session, partly to push that kind of envelope as a solo training runner, and mostly to push my pace and my wall-tolerance in a training environment, as opposed to a racing scenario.


I do not suggest making common practice of casual marathoning (unless your training level asks you to), as for the toll it will take on your legs and joints if done too often.  I am saying that if you have to go, just GO!  As runners, we sometimes need to push an extreme.  A big part of me warned against such a run, especially without aid-stations and in-run enhancers (i.e. Gu Chomps, Power Gel, Gatorade, etc., etc.)  However, a bigger part of me was certain of this run as an essential part of my current training.  It was the voice of my intuition.  This practice of going with gut instinct and pushing the barriers can be risky, but this sport is all about risking it.  Otherwise, how will you know how far or hard you can take yourself?


I finished this solo marathon at a time of 3:12:15, staying fairly consistent with my negative splits and with no "walling" and no legitimate pain.  (Note: the fastest miles were between miles 9-14; and then the quickest negative split intervals were from miles 18- 26)I proved to myself that I was capable of an entirely new level of training.  In turn, I have shown myself what I am capable of for my next race at the marathon level of competition if I continue to train smart and train at higher levels.


It's amazing what you can do when imbued by the race-day adrenaline, but it is even more amazing what you can do when you are an isolated, yet open and unrestricted individual on a mission for success.  Follow your gut, listen to your intuition.  You'll be glad you did.



Always searching for the next Key Experience,


J. Brewer

No comments:

Post a Comment